Spinach Salad with Japanese Ginger Dressing
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This spinach salad tossed with spunky ginger dressing was inspired by the iceberg salads served at Japanese steakhouses across the U.S. Add shrimp for lunch or a light supper.
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, (see Note)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- Combine onion, oil, vinegar, ginger, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender. Process until combined.
- Toss spinach, carrot and bell pepper with the dressing in a large bowl until evenly coated.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 5 days.
- Note: Baby spinach is immature or young spinach—it's harvested earlier than large-leaved mature spinach. We like the sturdy texture of mature spinach in cooked dishes and serve tender, mild-flavored baby spinach raw or lightly wilted. Baby and mature spinach can be used interchangeably in these recipes (yields may vary slightly); be sure to remove the tough stems from mature spinach before using.
- Weights & Measures
- 10 ounces trimmed mature spinach=about 10 cups raw
- 10 ounces baby spinach=about 8 cups raw
Per serving: 135 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 559 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (210% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (39% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008