Spinach Salad with Japanese Ginger Dressing
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This spinach salad tossed with spunky ginger dressing was inspired by the iceberg salads served at Japanese steakhouses across the U.S. Add shrimp for lunch or a light supper.
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, (see Note)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- Combine onion, oil, vinegar, ginger, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender. Process until combined.
- Toss spinach, carrot and bell pepper with the dressing in a large bowl until evenly coated.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 5 days.
- Note: Baby spinach is immature or young spinach—it's harvested earlier than large-leaved mature spinach. We like the sturdy texture of mature spinach in cooked dishes and serve tender, mild-flavored baby spinach raw or lightly wilted. Baby and mature spinach can be used interchangeably in these recipes (yields may vary slightly); be sure to remove the tough stems from mature spinach before using.
- Weights & Measures
- 10 ounces trimmed mature spinach=about 10 cups raw
- 10 ounces baby spinach=about 8 cups raw
Per serving: 135 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 559 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (210% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (39% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008