Spinach Salad with Avocado-Ranch Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy spinach salad recipe uses one avocado two ways: half goes into a healthy creamy ranch dressing and the other half of the avocado gets chopped to top the spinach salad.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 5- to 6-ounce package baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Scoop 1 avocado half into a blender; add buttermilk, dill, vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Cut the remaining avocado half into 1/2-inch chunks. Combine spinach, bell pepper and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add the dressing; toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates and top with the chopped avocado.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate dressing (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 8 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 696 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (95% daily value), Vitamin A (88% dv), Folate (45% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013