Spinach Salad with Avocado-Ranch Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy spinach salad recipe uses one avocado two ways: half goes into a healthy creamy ranch dressing and the other half of the avocado gets chopped to top the spinach salad.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 5- to 6-ounce package baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Scoop 1 avocado half into a blender; add buttermilk, dill, vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Cut the remaining avocado half into 1/2-inch chunks. Combine spinach, bell pepper and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add the dressing; toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates and top with the chopped avocado.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate dressing (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 8 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 696 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (95% daily value), Vitamin A (88% dv), Folate (45% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013