Spinach Salad with Avocado-Ranch Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy spinach salad recipe uses one avocado two ways: half goes into a healthy creamy ranch dressing and the other half of the avocado gets chopped to top the spinach salad.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 5- to 6-ounce package baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Scoop 1 avocado half into a blender; add buttermilk, dill, vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Cut the remaining avocado half into 1/2-inch chunks. Combine spinach, bell pepper and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add the dressing; toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates and top with the chopped avocado.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate dressing (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 8 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 696 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (95% daily value), Vitamin A (88% dv), Folate (45% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013