Spinach Salad with Avocado-Ranch Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy spinach salad recipe uses one avocado two ways: half goes into a healthy creamy ranch dressing and the other half of the avocado gets chopped to top the spinach salad.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 5- to 6-ounce package baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Scoop 1 avocado half into a blender; add buttermilk, dill, vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Cut the remaining avocado half into 1/2-inch chunks. Combine spinach, bell pepper and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add the dressing; toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates and top with the chopped avocado.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate dressing (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 8 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 696 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (95% daily value), Vitamin A (88% dv), Folate (45% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013