Spinach Salad with Avocado-Ranch Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy spinach salad recipe uses one avocado two ways: half goes into a healthy creamy ranch dressing and the other half of the avocado gets chopped to top the spinach salad.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 5- to 6-ounce package baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Scoop 1 avocado half into a blender; add buttermilk, dill, vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Cut the remaining avocado half into 1/2-inch chunks. Combine spinach, bell pepper and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add the dressing; toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates and top with the chopped avocado.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate dressing (Step 1) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 8 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 696 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (95% daily value), Vitamin A (88% dv), Folate (45% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013