From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Crunchy bean sprouts and water chestnuts add texture to this familiar favorite.
- 4 slices bacon
- 12 cups stemmed, washed and dried fresh spinach
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Sweet & Sour Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Toss spinach, onion, water chestnuts, sprouts and mushrooms in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and divide among 6 plates. Sprinkle egg and bacon on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-cook eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 82 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1997