From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Crunchy bean sprouts and water chestnuts add texture to this familiar favorite.
- 4 slices bacon
- 12 cups stemmed, washed and dried fresh spinach
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Sweet & Sour Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Toss spinach, onion, water chestnuts, sprouts and mushrooms in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and divide among 6 plates. Sprinkle egg and bacon on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-cook eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 82 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1997