From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Crunchy bean sprouts and water chestnuts add texture to this familiar favorite.
- 4 slices bacon
- 12 cups stemmed, washed and dried fresh spinach
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Sweet & Sour Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Toss spinach, onion, water chestnuts, sprouts and mushrooms in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and divide among 6 plates. Sprinkle egg and bacon on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-cook eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 82 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1997