From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Crunchy bean sprouts and water chestnuts add texture to this familiar favorite.
- 4 slices bacon
- 12 cups stemmed, washed and dried fresh spinach
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Sweet & Sour Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Toss spinach, onion, water chestnuts, sprouts and mushrooms in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and divide among 6 plates. Sprinkle egg and bacon on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-cook eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 82 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1997