From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Crunchy bean sprouts and water chestnuts add texture to this familiar favorite.
- 4 slices bacon
- 12 cups stemmed, washed and dried fresh spinach
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Sweet & Sour Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Toss spinach, onion, water chestnuts, sprouts and mushrooms in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and divide among 6 plates. Sprinkle egg and bacon on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-cook eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 82 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (71% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1997