Spinach & Roasted Red Pepper Calzones
Using our quick food processor pizza dough or purchased dough, these stuffed turnovers are as easy to make as a flat pizza. If you like, serve the calzones with a bowl of extra sauce for dipping.
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 pound Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, (recipe follows) or other prepared dough
- 3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce, or Basic Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta, or ricotta salata cheese (3 ounces) (see Note)
- Position rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle a baking sheet generously with cornmeal.
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces on a lightly floured surface,. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Spread 2 tablespoons sauce on the lower half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Season spinach with salt and pepper and distribute it over the sauce. Top with roasted red peppers and cheese.
- Brush the border with cold water and fold the top half of each circle over the filling. Fold the edges over and crimp with a fork to seal. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the calzones for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Ricotta salata is ricotta cheese that has been aged with salt. Look for it in a specialty cheese shop or gourmet food store.
Per calzone: 368 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 92 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 2138 mg sodium; 917 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (190% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Fiber (40% dv), Folate (39% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl