Spinach & Roasted Red Pepper Calzones
Using our quick food processor pizza dough or purchased dough, these stuffed turnovers are as easy to make as a flat pizza. If you like, serve the calzones with a bowl of extra sauce for dipping.
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 pound Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, (recipe follows) or other prepared dough
- 3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce, or Basic Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta, or ricotta salata cheese (3 ounces) (see Note)
- Position rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle a baking sheet generously with cornmeal.
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces on a lightly floured surface,. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Spread 2 tablespoons sauce on the lower half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Season spinach with salt and pepper and distribute it over the sauce. Top with roasted red peppers and cheese.
- Brush the border with cold water and fold the top half of each circle over the filling. Fold the edges over and crimp with a fork to seal. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the calzones for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Ricotta salata is ricotta cheese that has been aged with salt. Look for it in a specialty cheese shop or gourmet food store.
Per calzone: 368 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 92 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 2138 mg sodium; 917 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (190% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Fiber (40% dv), Folate (39% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique