Spinach & Roasted Red Pepper Calzones
Using our quick food processor pizza dough or purchased dough, these stuffed turnovers are as easy to make as a flat pizza. If you like, serve the calzones with a bowl of extra sauce for dipping.
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 pound Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, (recipe follows) or other prepared dough
- 3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce, or Basic Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta, or ricotta salata cheese (3 ounces) (see Note)
- Position rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle a baking sheet generously with cornmeal.
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces on a lightly floured surface,. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Spread 2 tablespoons sauce on the lower half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Season spinach with salt and pepper and distribute it over the sauce. Top with roasted red peppers and cheese.
- Brush the border with cold water and fold the top half of each circle over the filling. Fold the edges over and crimp with a fork to seal. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the calzones for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Ricotta salata is ricotta cheese that has been aged with salt. Look for it in a specialty cheese shop or gourmet food store.
Per calzone: 368 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 92 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 2138 mg sodium; 917 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (190% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Fiber (40% dv), Folate (39% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique