Spinach & Roasted Red Pepper Calzones
Using our quick food processor pizza dough or purchased dough, these stuffed turnovers are as easy to make as a flat pizza. If you like, serve the calzones with a bowl of extra sauce for dipping.
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 pound Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, (recipe follows) or other prepared dough
- 3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce, or Basic Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta, or ricotta salata cheese (3 ounces) (see Note)
- Position rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle a baking sheet generously with cornmeal.
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces on a lightly floured surface,. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Spread 2 tablespoons sauce on the lower half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Season spinach with salt and pepper and distribute it over the sauce. Top with roasted red peppers and cheese.
- Brush the border with cold water and fold the top half of each circle over the filling. Fold the edges over and crimp with a fork to seal. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the calzones for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Ricotta salata is ricotta cheese that has been aged with salt. Look for it in a specialty cheese shop or gourmet food store.
Per calzone: 368 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 92 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 2138 mg sodium; 917 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (190% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Fiber (40% dv), Folate (39% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation