Spinach & Roasted Red Pepper Calzones
Using our quick food processor pizza dough or purchased dough, these stuffed turnovers are as easy to make as a flat pizza. If you like, serve the calzones with a bowl of extra sauce for dipping.
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 pound Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, (recipe follows) or other prepared dough
- 3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce, or Basic Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta, or ricotta salata cheese (3 ounces) (see Note)
- Position rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle a baking sheet generously with cornmeal.
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces on a lightly floured surface,. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Spread 2 tablespoons sauce on the lower half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Season spinach with salt and pepper and distribute it over the sauce. Top with roasted red peppers and cheese.
- Brush the border with cold water and fold the top half of each circle over the filling. Fold the edges over and crimp with a fork to seal. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the calzones for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Ricotta salata is ricotta cheese that has been aged with salt. Look for it in a specialty cheese shop or gourmet food store.
Per calzone: 368 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 92 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 2138 mg sodium; 917 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (190% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Fiber (40% dv), Folate (39% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl