Spinach Ravioli with Zucchini Ribbons
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
For this light vegetarian ravioli recipe, we combine gorgeous long ribbons of zucchini with spinach-and-cheese-stuffed ravioli and a light cream sauce for a satisfying vegetarian pasta dinner.
- 2 medium zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise (see Tip)
- 1 pound fresh or frozen spinach-and-cheese ravioli
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Put a pot of water on to boil. Place sliced zucchini in a large colander and set it in the sink. Cook ravioli according to package directions. Pour the ravioli and cooking liquid over the zucchini in the colander.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and salt together in a small bowl with a fork to form a coarse paste. Combine half-and-half and flour in another small bowl and place near the stove.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and the garlic paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring, until almost completely evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the flour mixture and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 30 seconds. Gently stir in the ravioli and zucchini, basil and pepper. Divide among 4 plates. Top each portion with 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
Tips & Notes
- To make “ribbon-thin” zucchini, slice lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or a mandoline slicer.
Per serving: 351 calories; 11 g fat (6 g sat, 2 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber; 541 mg sodium; 345 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Calcium (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 2013