Spinach Ravioli with Zucchini Ribbons
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
For this light vegetarian ravioli recipe, we combine gorgeous long ribbons of zucchini with spinach-and-cheese-stuffed ravioli and a light cream sauce for a satisfying vegetarian pasta dinner.
- 2 medium zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise (see Tip)
- 1 pound fresh or frozen spinach-and-cheese ravioli
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Put a pot of water on to boil. Place sliced zucchini in a large colander and set it in the sink. Cook ravioli according to package directions. Pour the ravioli and cooking liquid over the zucchini in the colander.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and salt together in a small bowl with a fork to form a coarse paste. Combine half-and-half and flour in another small bowl and place near the stove.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and the garlic paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring, until almost completely evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the flour mixture and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 30 seconds. Gently stir in the ravioli and zucchini, basil and pepper. Divide among 4 plates. Top each portion with 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
Tips & Notes
- To make “ribbon-thin” zucchini, slice lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or a mandoline slicer.
Per serving: 351 calories; 11 g fat (6 g sat, 2 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber; 541 mg sodium; 345 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Calcium (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 2013