Spinach Ravioli with Zucchini Ribbons
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
For this light vegetarian ravioli recipe, we combine gorgeous long ribbons of zucchini with spinach-and-cheese-stuffed ravioli and a light cream sauce for a satisfying vegetarian pasta dinner.
- 2 medium zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise (see Tip)
- 1 pound fresh or frozen spinach-and-cheese ravioli
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Put a pot of water on to boil. Place sliced zucchini in a large colander and set it in the sink. Cook ravioli according to package directions. Pour the ravioli and cooking liquid over the zucchini in the colander.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and salt together in a small bowl with a fork to form a coarse paste. Combine half-and-half and flour in another small bowl and place near the stove.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and the garlic paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring, until almost completely evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the flour mixture and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 30 seconds. Gently stir in the ravioli and zucchini, basil and pepper. Divide among 4 plates. Top each portion with 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
Tips & Notes
- To make “ribbon-thin” zucchini, slice lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or a mandoline slicer.
Per serving: 351 calories; 11 g fat (6 g sat, 2 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber; 541 mg sodium; 345 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Calcium (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2013