Spinach Pesto Appetizer
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
The EatingWell makeover of this pesto appetizer boasts about half of the calories and a quarter of the fat of the original recipe. Serve with crostini, crackers or French bread.
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cherry tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place pressed cottage cheese, spinach, cream cheese, Romano cheese, egg, egg whites, garlic, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth. Spoon the spinach mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until firm, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place the pan on a serving plate, run a knife around the outer edge and remove pan sides. Garnish with tomatoes or basil leaves, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 74 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992