Spinach Pesto Appetizer
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
The EatingWell makeover of this pesto appetizer boasts about half of the calories and a quarter of the fat of the original recipe. Serve with crostini, crackers or French bread.
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cherry tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place pressed cottage cheese, spinach, cream cheese, Romano cheese, egg, egg whites, garlic, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth. Spoon the spinach mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until firm, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place the pan on a serving plate, run a knife around the outer edge and remove pan sides. Garnish with tomatoes or basil leaves, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 74 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992