Spinach Pesto Appetizer
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
The EatingWell makeover of this pesto appetizer boasts about half of the calories and a quarter of the fat of the original recipe. Serve with crostini, crackers or French bread.
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cherry tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place pressed cottage cheese, spinach, cream cheese, Romano cheese, egg, egg whites, garlic, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth. Spoon the spinach mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until firm, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place the pan on a serving plate, run a knife around the outer edge and remove pan sides. Garnish with tomatoes or basil leaves, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 74 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)