Spinach Pesto Appetizer
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
The EatingWell makeover of this pesto appetizer boasts about half of the calories and a quarter of the fat of the original recipe. Serve with crostini, crackers or French bread.
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cherry tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place pressed cottage cheese, spinach, cream cheese, Romano cheese, egg, egg whites, garlic, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth. Spoon the spinach mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until firm, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place the pan on a serving plate, run a knife around the outer edge and remove pan sides. Garnish with tomatoes or basil leaves, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 74 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992