Spinach Pesto Appetizer
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
The EatingWell makeover of this pesto appetizer boasts about half of the calories and a quarter of the fat of the original recipe. Serve with crostini, crackers or French bread.
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cherry tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place pressed cottage cheese, spinach, cream cheese, Romano cheese, egg, egg whites, garlic, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth. Spoon the spinach mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until firm, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place the pan on a serving plate, run a knife around the outer edge and remove pan sides. Garnish with tomatoes or basil leaves, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 74 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1992