Spinach & Grapefruit Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
The combination of pink grapefruit sections, dark green spinach and white jícama is both visually and texturally appealing. Toasted poppy seeds give an extra lift.
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 grapefruit, preferably pink or red
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and torn (16 cups)
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Place onion in a small bowl, add cold water to cover and soak for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 1/3 cup of the juice and set aside.
- Place garlic in a small saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Combine vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, the cooked garlic and reserved grapefruit juice in a blender and blend until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine spinach, j&iacute;cama and reserved onions and grapefruit sections in a salad bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss. Arrange on salad plates and garnish with poppy seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast poppy seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 102 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (101% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994