Spinach & Grapefruit Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
The combination of pink grapefruit sections, dark green spinach and white jícama is both visually and texturally appealing. Toasted poppy seeds give an extra lift.
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 grapefruit, preferably pink or red
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and torn (16 cups)
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Place onion in a small bowl, add cold water to cover and soak for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 1/3 cup of the juice and set aside.
- Place garlic in a small saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Combine vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, the cooked garlic and reserved grapefruit juice in a blender and blend until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine spinach, j&iacute;cama and reserved onions and grapefruit sections in a salad bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss. Arrange on salad plates and garnish with poppy seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast poppy seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 102 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (101% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994