Spinach & Grapefruit Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
The combination of pink grapefruit sections, dark green spinach and white jícama is both visually and texturally appealing. Toasted poppy seeds give an extra lift.
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 grapefruit, preferably pink or red
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and torn (16 cups)
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Place onion in a small bowl, add cold water to cover and soak for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 1/3 cup of the juice and set aside.
- Place garlic in a small saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Combine vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, the cooked garlic and reserved grapefruit juice in a blender and blend until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine spinach, j&iacute;cama and reserved onions and grapefruit sections in a salad bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss. Arrange on salad plates and garnish with poppy seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast poppy seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 102 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (101% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994