Spinach & Grapefruit Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
The combination of pink grapefruit sections, dark green spinach and white jícama is both visually and texturally appealing. Toasted poppy seeds give an extra lift.
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 grapefruit, preferably pink or red
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and torn (16 cups)
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Place onion in a small bowl, add cold water to cover and soak for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 1/3 cup of the juice and set aside.
- Place garlic in a small saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Combine vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, the cooked garlic and reserved grapefruit juice in a blender and blend until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine spinach, j&iacute;cama and reserved onions and grapefruit sections in a salad bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss. Arrange on salad plates and garnish with poppy seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast poppy seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 102 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (101% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994