Spinach & Grapefruit Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
The combination of pink grapefruit sections, dark green spinach and white jícama is both visually and texturally appealing. Toasted poppy seeds give an extra lift.
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 grapefruit, preferably pink or red
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and torn (16 cups)
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Place onion in a small bowl, add cold water to cover and soak for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 1/3 cup of the juice and set aside.
- Place garlic in a small saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Combine vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, the cooked garlic and reserved grapefruit juice in a blender and blend until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine spinach, j&iacute;cama and reserved onions and grapefruit sections in a salad bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss. Arrange on salad plates and garnish with poppy seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast poppy seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 102 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (101% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994