From EatingWell: May/June 1993
Inspired by the Greek appetizer spanakopitakia, these spinach and feta filled rolls are easy to make for a crowd.
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh spinach, stemmed and washed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 bunches scallions, trimmed and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, (14x18 inches)
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poppy or sesame seeds, or a combination (optional)
- To make filling: Place spinach with water still clinging to the leaves in a large pot. Cover and cook over medium heat until the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water. Squeeze the spinach dry and chop.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in spinach, feta, Parmesan, dill and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Stir egg whites into the spinach mixture.
- To form phyllo rolls: Set oven rack on the upper level; preheat to 350°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg white, oil and salt in a small bowl.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a short side toward you. Brush lower half of the sheet with the egg-white mixture and fold top half over. Brush the top with the egg-white mixture. Repeat this step with a second sheet of phyllo and set on top of the first. Spoon one-quarter of the spinach filling along one long edge. Tuck in the side edges and roll up, jelly-roll fashion. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining phyllo, egg-white mixture and filling, making 4 rolls in all.
- Brush tops of the rolls lightly with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with seeds, if desired. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. With a serrated knife, cut each roll diagonally into 9 pieces and serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Reheat in a 350°F oven until heated through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per piece: 39 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (32% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- May/June 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)