Spinach & Citrus Salad
Spinach and red onion join grapefruit in a refreshing salad that would be an excellent starter, or add sliced chicken breast for a light entree.
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small grapefruit, preferably pink or red, or 3 oranges
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit (or oranges) with a sharp knife and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit (or orange) segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 2 tablespoons of the juice into a salad bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper to the salad bowl. Add spinach and the reserved onion and fruit sections. Toss and garnish with poppy seeds.
Per serving: 91 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (131% daily value), Vitamin C (87% dv), Folate (32% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less