Spinach & Citrus Salad
Spinach and red onion join grapefruit in a refreshing salad that would be an excellent starter, or add sliced chicken breast for a light entree.
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small grapefruit, preferably pink or red, or 3 oranges
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit (or oranges) with a sharp knife and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit (or orange) segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 2 tablespoons of the juice into a salad bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper to the salad bowl. Add spinach and the reserved onion and fruit sections. Toss and garnish with poppy seeds.
Per serving: 91 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (131% daily value), Vitamin C (87% dv), Folate (32% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique