Spinach & Citrus Salad
Spinach and red onion join grapefruit in a refreshing salad that would be an excellent starter, or add sliced chicken breast for a light entree.
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small grapefruit, preferably pink or red, or 3 oranges
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit (or oranges) with a sharp knife and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit (or orange) segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 2 tablespoons of the juice into a salad bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper to the salad bowl. Add spinach and the reserved onion and fruit sections. Toss and garnish with poppy seeds.
Per serving: 91 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (131% daily value), Vitamin C (87% dv), Folate (32% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less