Spinach & Citrus Salad
Spinach and red onion join grapefruit in a refreshing salad that would be an excellent starter, or add sliced chicken breast for a light entree.
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small grapefruit, preferably pink or red, or 3 oranges
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit (or oranges) with a sharp knife and discard. Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, cut the grapefruit (or orange) segments from their surrounding membrane; reserve the segments in a small bowl. Measure 2 tablespoons of the juice into a salad bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper to the salad bowl. Add spinach and the reserved onion and fruit sections. Toss and garnish with poppy seeds.
Per serving: 91 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (131% daily value), Vitamin C (87% dv), Folate (32% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique