I agree with one of the previous reviewers that this has potential, but does not have enough flavor. I had to add in an extra 1/2 cup of cheddar, and substituted feta cheese and Greek yogurt for the cottage cheese. Even after that, the flavor was only so-so. I had to season it with paprika, basil, and a little cayenne pepper
Creamed Spinach Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This creamy spinach casserole recipe is a more sophisticated cousin to creamed spinach. It’s perfect for weekend entertaining or as a holiday side dish.
3 Reviews for Creamed Spinach Casserole
I like the idea of thise casserole, but I found it to lack flavor. And although I am not a salt person, I had to add more to give the dish flavor. I'm thinking that feta may be the alteration I need for my taste, so I'll try that next time. I don't understand why the dish calls for frozen full-leaf spinach when frozen chopped spinach would be much easier than having to put the full-leaf spinach in a food processor. I'll tweak that next time around as well. Overall, I think this recipe has real potential.
Served this on Thanksgiving and it was a big hit. I'm health conscious so typically stay away from casseroles so was excited when I saw this lighter alternative. I used skim milk which worked out just fine. I also substituted gruyere cheese for the cheddar, which was delicious, but not as "pretty" of a presentation. Very good. Will definitely make again!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)