Creamed Spinach Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This creamy spinach casserole recipe is a more sophisticated cousin to creamed spinach. It’s perfect for weekend entertaining or as a holiday side dish.
- 3 10-ounce packages frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup extra sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 3 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Press spinach in a mesh strainer to get out as much moisture as possible. Pulse in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- Combine milk, flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking, until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup Cheddar, cottage cheese and the spinach.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer, slowly increasing the speed, until they begin to foam. Continue to beat until the whites hold their shape; do not overbeat. (You’ll know they are ready when you lift the beaters out and the peak doesn’t flop over.)
- Gently fold the whites into the spinach mixture with a rubber spatula until uniform. (It’s OK if a few white streaks remain.) Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar; continue baking until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Steps 2 & 3, refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before folding in egg whites.
Per serving: 142 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 388 mg sodium; 476 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (254% daily value), Calcium (30% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2012