Spinach & Beet Salad with Chicken
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Real maple syrup—not the “maple-flavored” fakes that line the supermarket shelves—is the key to the richly flavored dressing on this elegant salad. In this case, the darker the syrup the better; choose Grade B syrup if it's available, or the darkest “Grade A” that you can find.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons walnut or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 8-ounce can whole beets, drained and quartered
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted (see Tip)
- Place chicken in a small skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, syrup, vinegar, mustard, soy sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons dressing in a small bowl. Add spinach to the large bowl; toss to coat with dressing. Divide the spinach between 2 plates, top with the chicken, beets, goat cheese and pecans. Drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped pecans, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 398 calories; 25 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 649 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carb, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two