Spinach & Beet Salad with Chicken
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Real maple syrup—not the “maple-flavored” fakes that line the supermarket shelves—is the key to the richly flavored dressing on this elegant salad. In this case, the darker the syrup the better; choose Grade B syrup if it's available, or the darkest “Grade A” that you can find.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons walnut or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 8-ounce can whole beets, drained and quartered
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted (see Tip)
- Place chicken in a small skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, syrup, vinegar, mustard, soy sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons dressing in a small bowl. Add spinach to the large bowl; toss to coat with dressing. Divide the spinach between 2 plates, top with the chicken, beets, goat cheese and pecans. Drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped pecans, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 398 calories; 25 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 649 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carb, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- EatingWell Serves Two