From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy spinach-apple juice is a green nutrient powerhouse loaded with calcium for bone health, and vitamins A and C for antioxidants. No juicer? No problem. See the juicing variation below to make this spinach-apple juice recipe in a blender.
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 1/2 grapefruit, peeled, white pith removed
- 2 green apples, cut into eighths
- 1 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
- 2 large stalks celery
- Ice (optional)
- Working in this order process spinach, grapefruit, apples, ginger and celery through a juicer according to the manufacturer’s directions. (No juicer? See Tip.)
- Fill 2 glasses with ice, if desired, and pour the juice into the glasses. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: No juicer? No problem. Try this DIY version of blended and strained juice instead: Coarsely chop all ingredients. First, place the soft and/or juice ingredients in the blender and process until liquefied. Then, add the remaining ingredients; blend until liquefied. Cut two 24-inch-long pieces of cheesecloth. Completely unfold each piece and then stack the pieces on top of each other. Fold the double stack in half so you have a 4-layer stack of cloth. Line a large bowl with the cheesecloth and pour the contents of the blender into the center. Gather the edges of the cloth together in one hand and use the other hand to twist and squeeze the bundle to extract all the juice from the pulp. Wear a pair of rubber gloves if you don’t want the juice to stain your hands.
Per serving: 55 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 60 mg sodium; 150 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2013