Spicy Yogurt Chicken
Plain yogurt is a magical ingredient in a marinade. It tenderizes chicken while keeping it moist and succulent. Add a little sweetener, something tart and warm spices--and you have a dynamite dish.
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 pinches saffron threads, (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons harissa, or 2 teaspoons hot sauce or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- Place hot water in a small bowl and crumble saffron threads over it. Steep for 5 minutes. Combine yogurt, onion, garlic, harissa (or hot sauce or cayenne), lemon juice, honey, oil, salt, cumin and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Stir in the saffron water. Add drumsticks and coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set an oiled rack on top. Place the drumsticks on the rack and bake until the chicken is golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes.
Per serving: 241 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 484 mg sodium; 300 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique