Spicy Yogurt Chicken
Plain yogurt is a magical ingredient in a marinade. It tenderizes chicken while keeping it moist and succulent. Add a little sweetener, something tart and warm spices--and you have a dynamite dish.
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 pinches saffron threads, (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons harissa, or 2 teaspoons hot sauce or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- Place hot water in a small bowl and crumble saffron threads over it. Steep for 5 minutes. Combine yogurt, onion, garlic, harissa (or hot sauce or cayenne), lemon juice, honey, oil, salt, cumin and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Stir in the saffron water. Add drumsticks and coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set an oiled rack on top. Place the drumsticks on the rack and bake until the chicken is golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes.
Per serving: 241 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 484 mg sodium; 300 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation