Spicy Vegetable Soup
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Fresh basil adds a bright spark to this vinegary, vegetable-stuffed soup, full of the traditional flavors of the Mediterranean. Alternatively, pesto adds a nutty richness to the soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1-3 teaspoons hot paprika, or to taste
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen spinach, (5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, or prepared pesto
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add paprika and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add broth, tomatoes, squash, potatoes and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in spinach and vinegar; continue cooking until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes more. Ladle soup into bowls and top with fresh basil or a dollop of pesto.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: Convenient cooked and diced potatoes can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the supermarket.
Per serving: 253 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 10 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 1032 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (270% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (44% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less