Spicy Thai Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Shrimp, bell pepper, cucumber and herbs are tossed with a spicy Thai dressing in this colorful salad. Served in Bibb lettuce cups, it's perfect for lunch, a light supper or as an appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound cooked and peeled small shrimp
- 1 cup thinly sliced red, yellow and/or orange bell pepper
- 1 cup seeded and thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, cilantro and/or mint
- Whisk lime juice, fish sauce, oil, brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add shrimp, bell pepper, cucumber and fresh herbs; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our nutritional analyses.
Per serving: 170 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 221 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008