Spicy Thai Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Shrimp, bell pepper, cucumber and herbs are tossed with a spicy Thai dressing in this colorful salad. Served in Bibb lettuce cups, it's perfect for lunch, a light supper or as an appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound cooked and peeled small shrimp
- 1 cup thinly sliced red, yellow and/or orange bell pepper
- 1 cup seeded and thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, cilantro and/or mint
- Whisk lime juice, fish sauce, oil, brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add shrimp, bell pepper, cucumber and fresh herbs; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our nutritional analyses.
Per serving: 170 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 221 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008