Spicy Thai Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Shrimp, bell pepper, cucumber and herbs are tossed with a spicy Thai dressing in this colorful salad. Served in Bibb lettuce cups, it's perfect for lunch, a light supper or as an appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound cooked and peeled small shrimp
- 1 cup thinly sliced red, yellow and/or orange bell pepper
- 1 cup seeded and thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, cilantro and/or mint
- Whisk lime juice, fish sauce, oil, brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add shrimp, bell pepper, cucumber and fresh herbs; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our nutritional analyses.
Per serving: 170 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 221 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2008