Spicy Thai Shrimp Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Shrimp, bell pepper, cucumber and herbs are tossed with a spicy Thai dressing in this colorful salad. Served in Bibb lettuce cups, it's perfect for lunch, a light supper or as an appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound cooked and peeled small shrimp
- 1 cup thinly sliced red, yellow and/or orange bell pepper
- 1 cup seeded and thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, cilantro and/or mint
- Whisk lime juice, fish sauce, oil, brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add shrimp, bell pepper, cucumber and fresh herbs; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our nutritional analyses.
Per serving: 170 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 221 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008