This dish was excellent and filled the house with the wonderful aroma of turmeric! It was perfectly spiced and worked great as a main dish added to basmati rice. Could work well as a side as well to meat or seafood. Will definitely make again!
Spicy Stewed Potatoes & Spinach with Buttermilk (Aloo chaas)
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
This stewlike potato and spinach curry can be served as a side dish or as part of a vegetarian buffet. The touch of cream prevents the buttermilk from curdling when it's heated and helps balance the heat from the pungent chiles.
4 Reviews for Spicy Stewed Potatoes & Spinach with Buttermilk (Aloo chaas)
This is the only dish I have ever made that even came close to tasting like my favorite Indian restaurant. I add a can of chickpeas with the potatoes to make it a main dish and serve it with rice seasoned with tumeric and fennel seed. I also double it to feed a crowd and have left overs.
I love this dish! I love Indian food and have not found a convenient place for carry-out (or even eat-in), and I was very happy to find this recipe. I found it perfectly spiced. For some reason I couldn't get the dried peppers to "reconstitute" into something soft; not sure if that was supposed to happen or not. On the diet I'm following I'm not supposed to really have white potatoes, and I'm thinking that next time I make this dish I might use half of the recommended dose of potatoes and fill it up with fresh cauliflower instead.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)