From the Deep South comes this spicy rice full of vegetables and chicken. Feel free to adjust the amount of hot sauce and cayenne pepper according to taste.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 5 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/8 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add chicken and sauté until flesh is opaque, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add scallions, celery and bell peppers and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes and their juice, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, basil, oregano, cayenne and cumin. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the frozen peas and chicken and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt.
Per serving: 297 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 291 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Folate (35% dv), Selenium (32% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less