From the Deep South comes this spicy rice full of vegetables and chicken. Feel free to adjust the amount of hot sauce and cayenne pepper according to taste.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 5 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/8 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add chicken and sauté until flesh is opaque, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add scallions, celery and bell peppers and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes and their juice, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, basil, oregano, cayenne and cumin. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the frozen peas and chicken and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt.
Per serving: 297 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 291 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Folate (35% dv), Selenium (32% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less