From the Deep South comes this spicy rice full of vegetables and chicken. Feel free to adjust the amount of hot sauce and cayenne pepper according to taste.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 5 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/8 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add chicken and sauté until flesh is opaque, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add scallions, celery and bell peppers and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes and their juice, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, basil, oregano, cayenne and cumin. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the frozen peas and chicken and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt.
Per serving: 297 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 291 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Folate (35% dv), Selenium (32% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique