From the Deep South comes this spicy rice full of vegetables and chicken. Feel free to adjust the amount of hot sauce and cayenne pepper according to taste.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 5 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/8 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add chicken and sauté until flesh is opaque, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add scallions, celery and bell peppers and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes and their juice, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, basil, oregano, cayenne and cumin. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the frozen peas and chicken and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt.
Per serving: 297 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 291 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Folate (35% dv), Selenium (32% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique