From the Deep South comes this spicy rice full of vegetables and chicken. Feel free to adjust the amount of hot sauce and cayenne pepper according to taste.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 5 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/8 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add chicken and sauté until flesh is opaque, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add scallions, celery and bell peppers and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes and their juice, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, basil, oregano, cayenne and cumin. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the frozen peas and chicken and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt.
Per serving: 297 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 291 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Folate (35% dv), Selenium (32% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less