Spicy Orange Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry
Hints of orange and a touch of heat dress up a classic combination. Serve with rice.
- 3 oranges
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine, or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons peanut oil, or canola oil, divided
- 1 pound beef sirloin, trimmed and sliced against the grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 6-8 small dried red chiles
- 2 pounds broccoli, cut into small florets (6 cups)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- With a small sharp knife or vegetable peeler, carefully pare wide strips of zest from one of the oranges. Cut zest into 1-inch strips and set aside. Squeeze juice from all the oranges into a small bowl (for about 3/4 cup). Add soy sauce, rice wine (or sherry), cornstarch and sugar and stir to combine; set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat until almost smoking. Add beef and stir-fry just until no longer pink on the outside, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat until very hot. Add garlic, ginger, chiles and the reserved orange zest; stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli and water. Cover and steam, stirring occasionally, until the water has evaporated and the broccoli sizzles, about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute more.
- Stir the reserved orange sauce and pour it into the wok. Bring to a boil, stirring; cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add scallion greens and the reserved beef and toss to coat with sauce; heat through.
Tips & Notes
- Freezing the beef sirloin for 30 minutes makes it easier to cut into very thin slices.
Per serving: 239 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 1040 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (400% daily value), Vitamin A (130% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat