Spicy Onion Jam
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Any type of onion will work for this chile-and-pomegranate-infused jam. Spread crostini with goat cheese and top with the spicy-sweet jam for a quick appetizer or tuck some into a steak taco. If you're a fan of spicy foods, use the full amount of ancho chiles.
- 2-4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and broken into pieces
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place chiles in a small dry saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add pomegranate juice and bring to a boil; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 20 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, add onions and cook until very soft and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar and cook until the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Increase heat to medium; add the chile puree and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Kitchen Tip: Onions contain a volatile compound called lachrymator that reacts with the fluid in your eyes and makes them water. To chop them without crying, try wearing goggles, burning a candle nearby or cutting them under cold water. To mellow the bite of a raw onion, soak it for an hour in 1 cup cold water, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt and then rinse thoroughly.
Per tablespoon: 20 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2008