Spicy Mediterranean Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Sweet raisins, honey and carrot juice balance the heat of crushed red pepper in this brightly colored vinaigrette.
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat mustard seeds, coriander and cumin in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrot juice and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Place raisins in a blender and add the hot juice. Let stand for 5 minutes to plump the raisins. Then add vinegar, cilantro, yogurt, honey, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and blend until combined. Pour in oil and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per tablespoon: 55 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 50 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- March/April 2009