Spicy Mediterranean Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Sweet raisins, honey and carrot juice balance the heat of crushed red pepper in this brightly colored vinaigrette.
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat mustard seeds, coriander and cumin in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrot juice and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Place raisins in a blender and add the hot juice. Let stand for 5 minutes to plump the raisins. Then add vinegar, cilantro, yogurt, honey, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and blend until combined. Pour in oil and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per tablespoon: 55 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 50 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2009