Spicy Mediterranean Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Sweet raisins, honey and carrot juice balance the heat of crushed red pepper in this brightly colored vinaigrette.
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat mustard seeds, coriander and cumin in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrot juice and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Place raisins in a blender and add the hot juice. Let stand for 5 minutes to plump the raisins. Then add vinegar, cilantro, yogurt, honey, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and blend until combined. Pour in oil and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per tablespoon: 55 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 50 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2009