Spicy Kidney Bean & Bell Pepper Ragout
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Tomatoes, bell peppers and gutsy chipotle peppers are the key ingredients in this tasty ragout. The addition of kidney beans makes it a whole meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, (with juices), chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 19-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt for garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, chipotles, cumin and oregano; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, green and red bell peppers and zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring often, until the juices have evaporated and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often; add water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt) and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Per serving: 160 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 9 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (151% daily value), Vitamin A (56% dv), Folate (17% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1994