Spicy Kidney Bean & Bell Pepper Ragout
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Tomatoes, bell peppers and gutsy chipotle peppers are the key ingredients in this tasty ragout. The addition of kidney beans makes it a whole meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, (with juices), chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 19-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt for garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, chipotles, cumin and oregano; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, green and red bell peppers and zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring often, until the juices have evaporated and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often; add water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt) and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Per serving: 160 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 9 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (151% daily value), Vitamin A (56% dv), Folate (17% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1994