Spicy Kidney Bean & Bell Pepper Ragout
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Tomatoes, bell peppers and gutsy chipotle peppers are the key ingredients in this tasty ragout. The addition of kidney beans makes it a whole meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, (with juices), chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 19-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt for garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, chipotles, cumin and oregano; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, green and red bell peppers and zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring often, until the juices have evaporated and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often; add water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt) and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Per serving: 160 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 9 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (151% daily value), Vitamin A (56% dv), Folate (17% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1994