Spicy Kidney Bean & Bell Pepper Ragout
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Tomatoes, bell peppers and gutsy chipotle peppers are the key ingredients in this tasty ragout. The addition of kidney beans makes it a whole meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, (with juices), chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 19-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt for garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, chipotles, cumin and oregano; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, green and red bell peppers and zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring often, until the juices have evaporated and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often; add water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt) and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Per serving: 160 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 9 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (151% daily value), Vitamin A (56% dv), Folate (17% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1994