Spicy Kidney Bean & Bell Pepper Ragout
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Tomatoes, bell peppers and gutsy chipotle peppers are the key ingredients in this tasty ragout. The addition of kidney beans makes it a whole meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, (with juices), chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 19-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt for garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, chipotles, cumin and oregano; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, green and red bell peppers and zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring often, until the juices have evaporated and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often; add water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt) and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Per serving: 160 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 9 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 528 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (151% daily value), Vitamin A (56% dv), Folate (17% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1994