Spicy Hungarian Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Paprika, caraway and cayenne add intense flavor to this turkey kielbasa and potato hash.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces turkey kielbasa, diced (3/4 cup)
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, paprika, caraway seeds and cayenne; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, kielbasa and potatoes and cook, scraping up browned bits, until potatoes are crusty, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with sour cream.
Per serving: 193 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (176% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation
- March 1998