Spicy Hungarian Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Paprika, caraway and cayenne add intense flavor to this turkey kielbasa and potato hash.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces turkey kielbasa, diced (3/4 cup)
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, paprika, caraway seeds and cayenne; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, kielbasa and potatoes and cook, scraping up browned bits, until potatoes are crusty, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with sour cream.
Per serving: 193 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (176% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March 1998