Spicy Hungarian Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Paprika, caraway and cayenne add intense flavor to this turkey kielbasa and potato hash.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces turkey kielbasa, diced (3/4 cup)
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, paprika, caraway seeds and cayenne; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, kielbasa and potatoes and cook, scraping up browned bits, until potatoes are crusty, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with sour cream.
Per serving: 193 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (176% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- March 1998