Spicy Hungarian Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Paprika, caraway and cayenne add intense flavor to this turkey kielbasa and potato hash.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces turkey kielbasa, diced (3/4 cup)
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, paprika, caraway seeds and cayenne; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, kielbasa and potatoes and cook, scraping up browned bits, until potatoes are crusty, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with sour cream.
Per serving: 193 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (176% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)