Spicy Hungarian Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Paprika, caraway and cayenne add intense flavor to this turkey kielbasa and potato hash.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces turkey kielbasa, diced (3/4 cup)
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, paprika, caraway seeds and cayenne; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, kielbasa and potatoes and cook, scraping up browned bits, until potatoes are crusty, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with sour cream.
Per serving: 193 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (176% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Eastern European/Russian
- March 1998